In late 1999/ early 2000 White Mountain Films and NOVA/WGBH Boston co-produced Shackleton's Antarctic Adventure, an IMAX film re-enacting Shackleton's legendary 1914-1916 Expedition to the South Pole. We loved the film when it came out, and have recently been looking again at the film's website.
One of the key sections for us is the part analysing Shackleton's leadership role.
The website highlights the book, Leading at the Edge: Leadership Lessons from the Extraordinary Saga of Shackleton's Antarctic Expedition, in it, Dennis Perkins outlines 10 leadership strategies that can be learned from Sir Ernest Shackleton's leadership example.
1. Never lose sight of the ultimate goal, and focus energy on short-term objectives.
2. Set a personal example with visible, memorable symbols and behaviors.
3. Instill optimism and self-confidence, but stay grounded in reality.
4. Take care of yourself: Maintain your stamina and let go of guilt.
5. Reinforce the team message constantly: "We are one--we live or die together."
6. Minimize status differences and insist on courtesy and mutual respect.
7. Master conflict--deal with anger in small doses, engage dissidents, and avoid needless power struggles.
8. Find something to celebrate and something to laugh about.
9. Be willing to take the Big Risk.
10. Never give up--there's always another move.
In a fascinating interview Mr Perkins says that Exceptional leaders inspire a level of teamwork that can mean the difference between success and failure in the most demanding environments. We agree completely.
Click the following link Shackleton's Antarctic Adventure to find out more about the film and to learn more about Shackleton's leadership role.
To sign up to receive daily emails about the Matrix Shackleton Centenary Expedition's progress please click here.
Get a capsule view of who we are, where we're going and why we're doing this by reading our brochure.
View our brochure (PDF 2.5mb)
Sir Ernest Shackleton is widely known as one of the most inspirational leaders of the twentieth century. The Shackleton Foundation is a new charitable trust.
Matrix Group are proud to be the Headline Sponsors of the Shackleton Centenary Expedition
The South Pole Gazette is a round-up of Antarctic news stories from around the web.
The SCE receives a small percentage of the price of all Antarctic and Shackleton books bought through the links listed below. Please note that buying through our UK Amazon affiliate account you are directly helping to sponsor the Expedition.
Please don't hesitate to get in touch with the SCE if you have any questions regarding our project, or if you would like to know more about how you can become a sponsor.
The Shackleton Centenary Expedition,
c/o The Lansdowne Club,
9 Fitzmaurice Place,
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
For press enquiries, please contact Mark Cooper at Van Communications, email@example.com
RSS feeds are a way of keeping up to date with your favourite websites by delivering fresh content to your desktop.
The SCE is a not-for-profit venture of the Shackleton Foundation.
All rights reserved © 2006 The Shackleton Centenary Expedition [SCE] except where noted.
Company No. 06107694, Charity No. 1118686.
The Shackleton Centenary Expedition, c/o The Lansdowne Club, 9 Fitzmaurice Place, London W1J 5JD
"Difficulties are just things to overcome, after all." - EHS 1909
Sponsored by Matrix